Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Rule of Three Book Review

by Megan McDonald
August 2009 • Candlewick Press • Middle-grade fiction • Ages 9 - 12


The Rule of Three in the Sisters Club series is a good read with nice messages about sisterhood. Many girls would relate to the sister dramas throughout the book. Stevie, Alex and Joey are believable characters. I quickly became attached to the narrator, Stevie, and wanted to read on to find out her story.

I liked the scripts (written by Alex) and journals/lists (written by Joey) which were sprinkled throughout the book and how they provided essential pieces of the story. I didn't think the quizzes were necessary and sometimes referenced people/things that would be over the heads of the girls in the recommended age group (8-11).

I give this book 3/5 and would recommend it to 8-10 year old girls as a fun read.

1 comment:

McKenzie M. said...

As a fourth grader, I thought it was a really good book. I really like the journal entries that Joey wrote with her drawings. I also like the storyboards and the ending. I would recommend this book to other girls my age. I would also suggest that girls read the first book in the series before reading this one.

I give 4 stars out of 5.